Like many other baking enthusiasts, I never stop trying recipes, even if I already have a favorite. I love chewy brownies. And I love box mix brownies. But I wanted to find something that I could call “THE BETTER THAN A BOX MIX” brownie, with easy ingredients that I probably have stashed in my pantry in case the desire for a brownie hits me at 9 pm on a Thursday night. (Not saying that happens….just maybe).
And yes, I already have a recipe for wonderful chocolate chip brownies on this blog. I still love those brownies. But one can never have too many fantastic recipes. Especially when it comes to brownies.
For this recipe, I wanted a good plain brownie. And by plain, I don’t mean lacking flavor! I just mean no extras- like chocolate chips, or pecans, or icing. Just a simple chewy brownie. You, however, or more than welcome to throw some of those ingredients in if you wish! But for me, I just wanted classic brownie flavor.
Y’all. These brownies are everything. Just look at those shiny, perfectly crackly brownie tops. The edges just a smidge chewier than the insides, and smooth chocolate sweetness in every bite. Heaven!
They were devoured by my family so fast! Safe to say, it’s a new favorite.
- 1/3 cup (28 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (148 ml) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) salted butter, melted*
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (140 grams) vegetable oil (I use corn oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 2 1/2 cups (496 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (248 grams) bread flour (or all purpose*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper & spray with nonstick baking spray. Leave an over hang for easy removal.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter for 30 seconds then stir until all butter is melted. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the water in the microwave until boiling, around 3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips and whisk until all are completely melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk in the butter & oil and continue stirring until smooth. (Notice a pattern here?) Add in the eggs, yolks and vanilla and whisk until (you guessed it….smooth.) Add in the sugar-you know the rest. Add the flour and salt and with a rubber spatula, fold in until fully incorporated. You don’t want to beat this in-but there also should be no lumps remaining.
- Spread into your prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. If the toothpick comes out with wet brownie mix, give it 3-5 minutes more and check again.
- Once brownies are done, let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
- *For the butter, heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Butter should be partially melted, then stir together to melt the remaining pieces. Butter should NOT be scalding hot and separating, it should be smooth and warm.
- *For the chocolate chips-unsweetened chocolate can also be used here if you prefer. I like the added sweetness the chocolate chips provide. If you’re using unsweetened chocolate, chop the pieces into tiny slivers before adding to the water & cocoa mixture for easier melting.
- *All purpose flour can be used instead of bread flour, but for the chewiest brownie, bread flour is a must! The higher protein bread flour allows for a chewy texture in baked goods.
Go enjoy your brownies!